Summertime and the office is freezing
How does that Ella Fitzgerald song go? “Summertime and the livin’ is easy”? Well here’s our rendition…Summertime and the office is freezing.
Outside the sun is shining and the birds are chirping, but inside the AC is blowing and the keyboards are clicking. There’s something about summertime that thermostats don’t like. It seems that instead of keeping the office cool and temperate, the air conditioner decides you would be better off in a frozen tundra because gosh darn-it, it’s hot outside. The problem is, you have no idea that it’s hot outside because you’re at the office and your buddy on vacation is snapchatting you pictures on the beach (which is really just cruel and unusual punishment).
However, summer is a beautiful time for creative agencies like ours. The colors are vibrant, natural light streams through the windows and audiences are in better moods. The problem is, we can easily lose inspiration in our cold and pixilated environments. So here are some things we do at Neff to keep copy-writing fingers warm and the creative juices flowing.
- Buying your lunch today? Don’t get it delivered, actually go out of the office to stretch your legs and get some fresh air. We recommend Joe’s Steaks when you feel like feeding your Philly soul or The Gaslight when you want to impress your colleagues with your knowledge of local hot spots.
- Keurig coffee is fine in a pinch, but the local, all organic, free trade, hipster café down the street is sure to inspire your next design or Instagram post.
- Company-wide gatherings are a must. The AC white noise should always be broken up by laughter and conversation surrounding a potluck lunch with colleagues.
- If you’re lucky enough to work in an area with a park or even better, an outdoor market, take advantage of it and step away from your desk for a few minutes. You can still be connected via mobile, but vitamin D is the best medicine for the 2 o’clock hour.
- Feeling trapped on a rainy day? Take a minute for yourself and plan out tonight’s dinner. Checking out some fresh veggie recipes and custom cocktails may be just what the doctor ordered to refresh your creativity. Nothing beats a summer dinner paired with a classic Bluecoat American Dry Gin and tonic after work.
- Music is always a nice thing to have in the background, but try taking the headphones out and having a little jam sesh with your desk-mates. We highly recommend Bad Blood by Taylor Swift or Dance With Me by Walk the Moon as a way to reignite creative collaboration with your team.
Remember, summer is supposed to be a time for fun, friends, food, and feeling refreshed. Use that to your advantage in the workplace and be sun-spired.